#1 February 4 2017, 1:05

Russian FederationAndy_Ru

JSC Daltransugol, SUEC Group.

Hello!
I join Mr. ClydeDickens and confirm that Shelby80 user posted 10 photos belonging to me that I have not yet managed to publish. I received a letter from ShipSpotting site Mr. David Asprey request is to assist in blocking other people's photos. Mr. David Asprey made a compilation of some of the photos do not belong Shelby80 which I enclose in the attachment.
Please take steps to prevent this type.

best wishes
Rutskiy Andrey

#2 February 6 2017, 1:22

GermanyAlex

Administrator

ShippingExplorer Ltd.

Please do not create multiple threads with the same topic.

The mentioned user has been banned from our site last month already and all reported photos had been taken down asap.
Your compiled list of his photos is impressive. But why not click on the report button for the photos instead? This makes it easier for you and for us.
At this point it is probably safe to assume that most, if not all, of the user's photos do not belong to him. As such, we will delete all of them. However, given the amount of photos we can't do it one by one. We will have to write a script to do that automatically. Expect this to be done within the week.

#3 February 6 2017, 14:17

United Kingdomdavidships

Thank you, Alex, for taking this action - I am not sure whether you received my separate message on your site Contact form as no reply received in my email account.

Our initial understanding was that you would only take down individual photos notified by the actual copyright holder, but not from a list covering many of our members. Perhaps we were mistaken. In any case, it was only by systematically checking a batch of photos (the most recent 20 pages) that we could see the extent of the pirating from Shipspotting.com. That way we were able to inform the members concerned - and also provide the evidence to you to justify removal of that member's gallery.

I do hope that this will prove to be the only example of copyright abuse, but I suppose that we all have to remain vigilant. If there are other isolated examples we will advise our members to use the individual report button; if any other serial abuser should unfortunately emerge we will communicate with you through the forum, unless alternative effective arrangements can be made.

Thanks again for your response.

best wishes
David Asprey
Co-Webmaster
shipspotting.com

#4 February 7 2017, 16:34

GermanyAlex

Administrator

ShippingExplorer Ltd.

Hello David,

In the 10+ years we haven't had an issue like this with photos. So I hope this will stay an isolated case :)

And yes, we have received many emails over the last few days, including yours. We couldn't get through them all since we realized fairly quickly we should just assume all of Shelby80's photos are stolen and delete them.
I have, for now, removed his account from this website. All of his uploads should be gone by tomorrow.

#5 February 7 2017, 16:37

United Kingdomdavidships

Hello again Alex

Please let me know when all the Shelby80 photos are deleted. I appreciate that you may need a little time to write and test the tool to delete photos in bulk.
At present I know that some are certainly still there, eg
http://www.shippingexplorer.net/en/photo/baltic-wasp/248113

best wishes

David

#6 February 8 2017, 17:09

GermanyAlex

Administrator

ShippingExplorer Ltd.

We have now completely removed all photos uploaded by Shelby80.